Welcome to Loupine Dog Training and Behavioral Consulting! My name is Jennifer Loup and I have been training and evaluating dogs in Northern Michigan for over 15 years. Based out of Traverse City, I offer over 4 levels of obedience classes as well as in-home behavioral consultations for a variety of canine concerns, including house manners, anxiety and aggression.
Loupine LLC offers a variety of services to improve the well-being of both you and your canine companions in your lives together. Please contact us to indroduce yourself and your dog(s), and we’ll find the most appropriate place for you to begin working together.
- Group Obedience Classes — Four Levels, Puppy – Advanced
- Drop-in Classes — options focused on the Canine Good Citizen test, preperation classes for Therapy Dog testing and evaluation, and group pack walks for dogs working on reactivity and social skills in a changing and real-life environment.
- In-Home Behavioral Consultations for house manners, anxiety and agresssion.
- Socialization Day Trips – for young puppies and older dogs developing and refining dog-dog and dog-environment social skills and training.
- Puppy and Teenage Drop-in Playgroups
- Weekly Dog Walks.
My last name – Loup – means “wolf” in French – almost as if the vocation of working with dogs chose me. I have a BA in history from the University of Michigan, and while I was attending school I worked summers at the Clinch Park Zoo in Traverse City. After graduation I continued on at Clinch Park for 3 years full time as a keeper, honing my observation skills and knowledge of animal behavior. The first puppies I helped raise were coyote puppies!
I have been teaching group obedience classes and offering in-home canine behavior consultations in the Traverse City area for over 10 years. In 2018 I passed two exams offered by the Certification Council of Professional Dog Trainers to demonstrate my knowledge of dog behavior modification, training and best practices to gain my Certified Professional Dog Trainer – Knowledge Assessed (CPDT-KA) and Certified Behavior Consultant – Canine – Knowledge Assessed (CBCC-KA) credentials. I am also a certified AKC Canine Good Citizen and S.T.A.R. Puppy evaluator and teacher.
Currently I teach basic obedience class and beyond out of my own facility on Cherry Bend Road, and also through the extended education program of Northwestern Michigan College. I host a monthly call-in radio show on WTCM Newstalk 580 where we talk about pertinent dog issues and answer caller questions. To listen to the podcast of that show, and for an up-to-date schedule of classes, please visit Loupine LLC on Facebook.